Monday, September 8, 2014

WEEK #11 IN GJAKOVA, KOSOVO

September 8, 2014

Family and Friends,

Hello from rainy Gjakova, Kosovo!

My companion and I were both sick for a couple of days this week and we have been unable to do a great quantity of work. We have ensured that we have made it up in quality.

 Suzana and Esiona from Elbasan, Albania with Elders Acheson and Schramm
On Monday we said our final goodbyes to Suzana and Esiona from Elbasan and they left early Tuesday morning. Tuesday was the first day of mine and Elder Schramm’s days of sickness.
We tried to go out and work and did our best. Wednesday andThursday were spent inside coughing, sleeping, coughing, listening to talks, coughing, language study, coughing, and scripture study. A fortunate aspect about being held up in our apartment was that I could complete the section on Verbs and Verbal Phrases in my study of Standard Albanian, the Stanford University dissection of the Albanian language. I was very excited to move on to Nouns and Noun Phrases.

Friday, we had interviews with President Weidmann. That was a wonderful experience. President Weidmann and I have been discussing the ancient missionaries in our weekly letters.
He asked me to prepare a comparative study of Abraham and Noah and to answer the question why was Abram changed to Abraham? It was a sweet experience to know that my mission president knows me and prays for me by name and he knows my needs.

On Saturday I was invited up to Prishtina for District Leader Training from the Zone Leaders. There they presented to us the zone goals and challenges extended to us from President Weidmann. We have been given the ambitious goal to get a new baptismal date every week and 4 baptisms until the end of the year. I, admittedly, had some doubt in my mind about the baptismal date goal. I feel that we work a lot and a lot more with people here in Gjakova and they don’t seem to progress very well. But I told the Zone Leaders yes that it would happen and then a miracle happened.

Rainy Gjakova, Kosovo
Later that day we had a lesson with a young man named Lirian Merturi. To make a long story short: a powerful Elder Schramm Testimony plus Elder Tooley wisdom equals one new baptismal date for us that week. Lirian has accepted to work and learn to be baptized. He is a young musician who has competed on the X-Factor (or the Voice, not sure which one) Albania. I understand he has a popular YouTube Channel if you would like to check and see who he is.

On Sunday we had the members, missionaries, and their investigators from Peja in our Fast and Testimony meeting and they participated in our services and it was very nice to have them with us. After church, Elder Schramm and I grabbed a ride with the Tooleys and went to US Military Base Fort Bondsteel and we took part in their worship services over there as well. It is great to interact with the soldiers and to be enlightened by their testimonies. The American food… a sweet and welcome treat every time.

Today for P-Day, Elder Schramm and I tried a new knock-off American chain: TFC ‘Texas Fried Chicken,’ let us leave it at it lacked something. We also got haircuts. Note: If you would like a professional, clean hair cut from a Kosovar barber, tell them you would like it like Bill Clinton.


Well I love you. I hope you are doing great and are healthier than I have been this week.

Love,

Elder Aqësoni 



No comments:

Post a Comment