Tuesday, September 3, 2013


Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Hello!  This is Barbara Acheson, Elder Acheson's mom.  Today the Adriatic South Missionaries left for the mission field.  During a layover we had the opportunity to talk to our son.  For Family Night the night before we created a long list of questions that came from Grandpa Tom Lee all the way to Grace, Elder Acheson's little sister.

It was great to finally get the answers to our burning questions like: "Which tie is your favorite?" or "How many pounds of licorice did you receive in the MTC?".  All in all, it was wonderful to hear his voice and tell him how much we love him. 

Chase is the first missionary for the David and Barbara Acheson family.  It was a little heartbreaking for me to hear Race tell Chase, "See ya in three years!"  Race's (age 17) current plan is to leave for his mission shortly after high school graduation in May 2014.  As happy and thrilled as I plan to be to have two missionaries out at the same time, my heart is going to have to toughen up a little.  I might have to adopt some of Grace's guy friends as sons.  The house will definately be too quite. Plus, who will take out the trash, mow the lawn, shovel the snow and bring in all the groceries?

The time is finally here.  Chase was anxious and ready to get going.  We are happy for him.  We are grateful for the wonderful companion, fellow missionaries and fabulous teachers that have prepared him for this moment.  God speed, dear son.  We love you.

Elder Acheson has left the states and we can not wait for the next chapter in his two year adventure.

Albania....here he comes!

Elders Ostergaard, Hald and Acheson at the Salt Lake City Airport ready to go !

Our last meal at the MTC West cafeteria


  1. A funny thing happened the morning Elder Acheson took off for Albania. He and some of the missionaries from the Adriatic South Mission had stored some extra things they didn't want to take with them and gave them to Elder Acheson. He hid 4 heavy bags of items in the bushes by the WyView building complex sign facing Freedom Blvd. This is just outside where the missionaries stay. Anyway, he told me to immediately go get the bags when he called early in the morning right before take off. We live just five minutes from the missionaries.

    I jumped in the car, forgetting I was still wearing my purple pjs and fuzzy slippers and bee-lined it to the bushes, fearing the bags might be discovered and disposed of. I parked the car in front of the sign hoping not to be seen by anyone and started digging in the bushes for the bags. Just then about 40 missionaries came around the corner absolutely stunned to see a grown mother in her pjs digging out laundry bags filled with extra clothes from behind the bushes. It had rained heavily during the night and the mud was pretty wet. I emerged from the bushes covered in mud and leaves. It was then that I realized just how I must have appeared to the cute missionaries trotting off to breakfast at 7:00 a.m. It was not a pretty sight.

  2. Oh no!! That is hilarious. There have got to be easier ways to be a consciencious mother.